Monday, November 14, 2005

cost-benefit analysis

Missing class by taking the bus:

Probability of loss occurring: none (car), about 15 minutes of class time (bus)
Loss involved: loss to car, loss to in-class time
Burden: have a duty to protect my car, have a duty to go to class since I'm paying this exorbitant out-of-state tuition.

Not missing class by driving:

Probability of loss occuring: high (car), no loss to class time.
Loss involved: my drivers-side tail light
Burden: not to drive like a 'tard, need to notice that the van behind me is blocking a giant cement pillar before I back into it.

If I balance the P, L, and B here as ol' Judge Hand would have done, I see that the greater loss existed in the whole "driving" activity, and that I shouldn't have done it.

If this doesn't make a case for staying in bed on a Monday morning, I don't know what does.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home