Tuesday, March 20, 2007

with friends like these, who needs enemies?

So I have this class that prepares us for our summer clinical positions. Part of this class involves basic writing assignments with feedback. And, unlike many of the people that sit around me, I consistently receive good feedback on these assignments.

I was excitedly telling my friends about this one night last week - mostly because my lack of a boyfriend (to dictate every waking minute of my life outside of school) means that I have nothing else to drone on and on about. After talking about my semi-good fortune in this class, one of my friends pipes up, "Maybe you've finally found something in law school you're actually good at." (emphasis hers, not mine)

I didn't think about it at the time, but the more time that passes, the more I think I'm actually insulted by that. I'm (fairly) certain she didn't mean that to come out as catty as it did...but I'm starting to second-guess myself by wondering if certain friends of mine honestly think that I'm not fit to grace the same "hallowed" halls as them.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww, fuck them. and fuck all law students. fuck all!

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Kevin Lomax said...

Only Andy would use the f-bomb 3 times in one posting. Anonymous, is that you Andy?

I think they perhaps were just reacting with the same attitude you display on this blog about law school. I sense things aren't going well based on your postings, but I could be wrong.

I learned today that if a professor asks you if a writing assignment was worthwhile, you should say yes without hesitating. After I didn't respond affirmatively I got the even more fun question of whether it was just busywork. I lied and said no.

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Dangerous Mind said...

KL, let's just say that my law school performance puts me in Mike Hall territory. And I think you're right - I think that was how the comment was actually intended. There was something about the tone with which she said it, though, that made me think that it was a comment on my knowledge of more concrete legal concepts (which is a lot better than what my exam performance reflects).

And that same thing happened to my sister last semester in undergrad (she's now a second-semester senior at a small school in VA). Unfortunately, she was brutally honest with the professor about her enjoyment of busywork, and the professor continues to hold that over her head - mentioning it in grad school recommendation letters and discussing it with other profs in her department. So that lie was likely the wise choice.

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger Kevin Lomax said...

Don't be dissin on the Hallster

 
At 1:18 AM, Blogger Ismael Tapia II said...

Mr. Lomax,
Am I the "Andy" to which you refer? If so, I can say that it wasn't me that commented anonymously--there's no reason for me to do so.

Dagerous Mind,
I wouldn't worry about the comment. The person probably meant something completely innocent. If they didn't, then you'll be able to figure out that they think you're an idiot based on various other indicia. Keep your eyes open, but don't doubt your friendships because of some off-hand comment you may have misinterpreted.

As for Mike Hall, he's a nice guy. He's definitely strange, he definitely had bad grades (I've heard he's admitted to getting a 76), but he's a nice guy.

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger Kevin Lomax said...

The Hallster has always struck me as one of those law students who was given a job at the school to help prop up the graduate hiring numbers. He then managed to stick around long enough to end up in a real position. That says something about our school. I'm just no sure what it says. It does make you wonder about all the other deans.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home