Wednesday, November 16, 2005

the truffle shuffle

Do we really need Tyra Banks and some crappy "Entertainment Tonight" correspondent to dress up in a fat suit to tell us that society mocks fat people?

Now, I love Miss Tyra as much as the next Top Model addict...But I don't need her in a fat suit telling me that the last acceptable form of discrimination in this country is making fun of fat people. What's worse is that she sits there and tells us that the looks, etc. really made her cry. Lucky for her, she gets to take the fat suit off at the end of the day and go back to being ogled. Most of America isn't that lucky.

What they need to do is either (a) stick a hidden camera on an actual obese woman for a week, or (b) follow around any middle- or high-school kid who is more than fifteen pounds overweight. I'm voting for the second one, mostly because I think that's the problem. Kids are nasty, mean, cruel little buggers...and if we don't teach them otherwise, then they end up working at Saks and looking down their nose at you while you're looking at $300 cashmere sweaters that would be small on an eight-year-old. Or working in food service and glaring at you because yes, you really do want fries with that instead of a side salad. And extra cheese on that burger - because that would be tasty.

I don't know what the solution is...I don't even know that there is a solution. It's not like we can expand the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to include fat people - although there is no language in the Act that prevents us from applying it to the obese. But honestly, if an obese person tried to bring a Civil Rights Act suit in court because the stick insect working at Anthropologie didn't want to waste her time (and potential commission from helping someone else) because she knew you weren't going to buy anything, I think they'd get laughed out of court. Just like that same obese person has been getting laughed at every day since they were in elementary school.

But what really grinds my gears is the chick on "ET" saying that, if she "allowed her personality to shine through" and showed that she really loved herself, then people treated her well. I'm sorry - but that's bullshit. Just because people are nice to your face, that doesn't mean that they're not laughing at you behind your back. And I don't need "Entertainment Tonight" telling me that everything is going to be okay if I just love myself. That's what Dr. Phil is for. "Entertainment Tonight" has one purpose, and one purpose only - to tell me whether or not Tom Cruise has come out of the closet yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home