Monday, February 25, 2008

do you accept this declaration of shenanigans?

Two posts in one day - can you believe it?

So this morning, I opened up iTunes to purchase that song from "Once" that won the Best Original Song Oscar last night. I get to the soundtrack's page and discover that the song I'm looking for (and, incidentally, every song on the album) is only available if you purchase the entire album.

And then I realized that this is a rather bizarre trend on iTunes - I've gone in to buy songs before and then discovered that they're the only track on an album that isn't available for 99-cent individual download, but are only available if you buy the whole album.

I'm pretty much convinced that the rationale behind this is to force people to buy entire albums instead of just the one song that they really like. But does this happen everywhere you go to purchase digital music, or is iTunes just a communist plot to take over the world through forcing people to buy a ton of albums for $9.99 each just so that they can hear that one song they liked in the first place, only to discover that the rest of the album blows. Or does this only happen in certain genres of music - like, I could buy whatever crap Rihanna puts out for 99 cents a song, but if I want something a little more obscure, I may have to buy the whole album.

Whatever. I'll just go buy the CD at Target. Yeah, it's probably more expensive that way, but if I'm going to be buying the whole CD, then I at least want the original liner notes.

Therefore, I'm calling shenanigans on iTunes (or, if you prefer, I'm putting iTunes on notice). Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be over here hiding from Apple's henchmen.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tend to agree that the purpose is to force you to buy the whole album when most people would otherwise buy a popular single.

I'm constantly confused, however, when I have to download an entire album on Ruckus. If you don't know, Ruckus is a DRM'ed service like iTunes (only worse) that a bunch of universities have purchased unlimited downloads from.

Assuming that my university doesn't pay per download (I'm fairly certain that my IT friend at Brandeis told me that Ruckus wanted a flat-fee from them), then I have absolutely no idea why I have to download an entire album from them to get one song. It just seems like a waste of bandwidth.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home