Wednesday, April 19, 2006

law school executive power: derived from farcical aquatic ceremonies

I gotta get something that's been bugging me for a few days off my chest...

I've noticed that, a lot like high school, the same dozen (or so) students end up running every organization on campus. For example: Student A is vice president of three organizations, treasurer of another two orgs, a member of two more, on Moot Court, and planning on trying to write on to law review.

I'll be the first one to stand up and say "Hey, someone's gotta do it - cause I ain't gonna." I mean, frankly, being a "joiner" goes against the whole "apathy" mystique I've worked all year to build up - and I'd like to think that I've done a pretty good job of it.

But still - isn't there a point when involvement levels pass "ridiculous" and head down a long, lonely road that dead-ends at "bloody pathetic"? I mean, an employer is going to see a dozen exec board positions and organizations and likely say one of three things:

(1) If this person can be involved in this many things, the positions are probably meaningless and have attached to them no responsibility or leadership skills.
(2) This person's stretched so thin he's probably not accomplishing anything substantial for any one of these organizations (as if the organizations actually accomplish anything ANYway...)
(3) This person's only involved in so many organizations because (s)he is a giant douche, can't get laid, and needs something to occupy his/her time.

If the employer thinks something along the lines of "wow, what a variety of interests! what a go-getter! look at this person trying to change the world!", I'm going to scream. And then pray that one day, the lines-on-resume whore's uppance shall come.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home