Friday, July 28, 2006

my second date with career services

Me: So, essentially, when the job listings say "Top 50%" and I'm over here at "Top 66.67%", am I just screwed? I mean, how do I say to these people "yeah, my grades suck, but I'm not an idiot"?

Career Services: You're not an idiot. Law school is like the Olympics. Everyone is the best of the best, and they're all separated by just a little bit.

Me: And there's always that one swimmer from the Ivory Coast that finishes 10 minutes behind the rest of the pack.

CS: But the rest of the swimmers are all a minute apart.

Me: Because they're all on steroids.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy, that's not what they tell you when you're in the top 10%...

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Kirsten said...

anonymous - see the July 30th posting at http://overheardinlawschool.blogspot.com/

 
At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kirsten - point being?

Did you know that 50% of the class is in the top half?

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

Oh, you know my point...

And I am one of those unsuspecting law students who can comprehend mathematical figures, so I was aware of that. But thank you for pointing that out to the others.

And the fact that you brag about your status AND won't sign your name implies that you may very well be in the top 10% of people who lie about their class status. Own up baby, then maybe we'll talk.

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Legally Intoxicated (Retired) said...

anon - I don't know who you're talking to, but they don't tell you anything special in the top 10%. Mostly they've just given me some contacts to send my resume to and told me to be careful about my blog. I don't think the subject of grades has ever really come up whenever I've gone in.

And of course, this isn't bragging - I am, after all, still fucking unemployed despite my grades.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Dangerous Mind said...

Meanwhile, all the snide remarks are a great reminder of why I don't call my mother more often.

So thanks for that.

 
At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tex - You obviously aren't familiar with the secret handshake.

As for what they told me at career services...nothing.

 

Post a Comment

Links:

Create a Link

<< Home