Friday, January 05, 2007

g1mm1cks

First there was "Se7en", the alternate title for the (spoiler alert) Gwyneth's-head-in-a-box thriller from, like, 1997. Then came "Numb3rs" on CBS. And now, the other day, I saw a commercial for the new movie "Thr3e". I don't know what it's about - I only remember the trailer because there was a number in the title. Does the "stop and think about it" factor mean that I should start replacing any letters in my post that look like numbers w1th th3 c0rr35p0nd1ng num83r5.

Oooh yeah. No. Believe me, it hurt to type that as much as it now hurts to go back and read it - mostly because the last time I thought this sort of thing was clever, I think I was in 4th (maybe 5th) grade, and I discovered that typing 5318008 on a calculator spells "boobies" when you turn the calculator upside down.

I'd like to know who decided that this was a good marketing strategy. Granted, it does make me think about the movie more, but not in a "wow, that looks like the next 'Gone with the Wind'" sort of way. It's more of a "is the movie that bad that they need to resort to that level?" Especially in the case of that show "Numbers" - yeah, it really is that bad. (Then again, they can't all rise to the caliber of "CSI: Miami".)

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 11:53 AM, Blogger Ismael Tapia II said...

I can't express how much I hate the whole numbers instead of letters thing. It always confused me in the case of "Se7ven" because, in case no one noticed, the numeral "7" doesn't even vaguely resemble the letter "v." But, whatever, as Kevin Smith says, in Hollywood, you fail up.

CSI: Miami blows. Hard.

 
At 4:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"typing 5318008 on a calculator spells "boobies" when you turn the calculator upside down"

hehehe cool!

This is that impatient time of year when one has nothing better to do then wait for professors to do their one bit of hard work each year...oh and also finish 50 page law review comments.

Anyone who sees Wisc grades beginning to pop up should post here and let us all know they're on the way. I don't expect any until at least the end of next week. Slackers!

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Dangerous Mind said...

Why'd you have to go and mention the "g" word? Now my vacation is officially ruined.

And CSI: Miami is so bad that it's awesome. I don't watch it for the drama - I watch it for the laughs. Seriously, David Caruso is the funniest man on CBS.

 
At 4:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a good article the marketing field is very useful to business people. Who are interesting for more information visit the site marketing strategy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home