Sunday, February 26, 2006

this field, this game: it's a part of our past

Turns out all I had to do to bypass the horror of the cubs.com Virtual Waiting Room was wait a few days after tickets went on sale.

Sure, I don't get the tickets for the weekend of the home opener like I did last year, when I got to see Jeremy Piven throw out the first pitch (that made sitting in the cold wind watching the Cubs beat the Brewers in 12 even more worthwhile)...but I have my tickets - for the last Friday in April. Ten bucks says that either Prior or Wood will be on the DL by then...

I grabbed some good half-price seats for the weekend before that in Milwaukee while I was at it - mostly because I want to experience this whole "dudes running around dressed as sausages" thing in person.

3 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sausages aren't dudes. They're chicks under the costumes. A few years ago, a mean player from a visiting team violently took out one of the sausages while she was racing. The truth about what was under the costume was revealed.

 
At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Additional sausage info:

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/sausagegate/030710.html

And from Wikipedia(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sausage_Race):

On July 9, 2003, in a misguided attempt at mirth, Randall Simon, then the first baseman of the Pittsburgh Pirates, playfully hit a top-heavy sausage on its head with a baseball bat. The tap didn't hit the human head of Mandy Block who was wearing the Italian Sausage costume, but it did knock her over. The domino effect took Hotdog along. Simon was arrested and paid a fine, and was suspended by Major League Baseball for three games. He later apologized. The nation held its breath and waited for the lawsuit, but the classy Ms. Block asked only that the offending bat be autographed and given to her. Simon obliged.

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger Dangerous Mind said...

I know. I was trying to play CYA in case one wasn't female, but failed miserably.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home