Sunday, February 19, 2006

eyelid twitching is most often associated with fatigue or stress

At least, that's what WebMD says about my eyelid twitching that won't go away. It also says to call a health professional if it lasts longer than a week. By my calculation, it's been about two weeks since this blasted twitching started. So that means that my eye will actually fall out of my head by the time I leave for spring break.

The fact that I'm sitting here trying to finish my Property reading for the week isn't helping. Nor is the fact that I'm stressing about what I'm going to do this summer - in fact, the Summer Job Express is the train of thought that generally causes the twitching to start. (Hee. I'm punny.)

On one hand I have the job option. I can keep applying for jobs that I know I'm not going to get because, let's face it, my grades are in the toilet. I can keep applying for internships that, again, probably not going to get. Or I can apply for a bunch of public interest things that don't interest me at all. (Part of the problem with working for legal counsel for a big nasty corporation for a few years is that I now have absolutely no problem with screwing over the regular Joe.)

On the other hand I have the study abroad option. I have a bunch of friends telling me to just shut up and go do it, because (a) I'm not going to get to take these types of classes at UW, and (b) these classes are what I'm really passionate about. But at the same time, I won't have the legal "work" experience that they say is so valuable for this summer...I'll be doing something "law-related", but it won't be working. And then there's the whole money issue. But it's a vacation that doesn't involve using PTO - the last time in my life I'll be able to pull that one off. And even though I know people who have done just this and gone on to find good jobs, I still read a lot that says "if you want a job your 2L summer, don't study abroad."

My problem is that I don't want to seem like a cop-out when it comes to this job searching thing (which, let's face it, I am), but I'm having the hardest time deciding when enough's enough. How long do I wait for firms to respond to the grades I sent them weeks ago? Do I really want to keep applying for jobs that I know in my gut that I have no chance of getting until April, at which point it would be too late to choose option study abroad and end up working at Wal-Mart all summer? Do I want to commit to studying abroad when I still have all of these loose ends with firms who haven't even decided yet if they want to hire summer associates? Can I even dream of participating in OCI next fall with mediocre grades (unless I pull straight A's this semester), study abroad, and two years of legal expeience prior to entering law school?

How screwed am I, really: very, very very, or unbelievably?

Needless to say, these questions have been leaving me crankier than normal these past few weeks, mostly because I'm too scared that what I really want to do will amount to career suicide before my career even begins. And I'm seriously looking into some sort of plastic surgery option that would have my eyelid permanently stapled to my browbone, or some sort of eyelid muscle removal surgery...any way in which I can ensure that my freakin' eyelid will stop twitching already.

4 Comments:

At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recommend booze.

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Dangerous Mind said...

I guess I picked the wrong semester to quit drinking, eh?

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Much too early. How will you ever achieve alcoholism before you become an attorney?

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Queen of the Mood Swing Set said...

i really think that everyone gets the ubiquitous 1L eye twitch. It goes away by the time you get to your second year. Do work hard on the alcoholism...i think it's a prerequisite for being any sort of successful lawyer :-).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home