Tuesday, December 20, 2005

what's worse: cotton candy girl or hollaback girl?

If you didn't immediately say "Hollaback Girl", that godawful Gwen Stefani song, then there's something seriously wrong with you.*

Apparently, a "cotton candy girl" is someone who enjoys designer clothes/shoes/purses, Starbucks coffee, and basically anything cute, colorful, fun, shiny, or straight out of an Ingmar Bergman film.

I'm with Legally Blonde on this one. I don't have a Coach purse, but I definitely have some Coach shoes (and one of my goals in life is to own a pair of 4" black Manolos). And I flat-out refuse to leave the house without my makeup done. And yes, I carried a grande sugar-free hazelnut nonfat with whip mocha from Starbucks into nearly every Torts class I've had since October. (2/week x 8 weeks = 16...x 4.01/cup = $64.16, for those who were wondering.)

Law school blows, okay? So what if people's days are just a bit brighter because they choose to not look like they just wandered out of Auschwitz?** Who are you to hate on people that like to see a little color in between the drab black-and-white casebooks (my notecards and class notes are all color-coordinated by subject area) - how else are we supposed to not succumb to ADD while studying?

People think I'm shallow because I read Cosmopolitan, am hopelessly addicted to "Gilmore Girls", laugh at "mainstream" Monty Python references, and own several dozen pairs of shoes. And to those people I ask, what's the point of living if you're not going to do what makes you happy? Life is too short to actively seek out people to condemn simply because you have nothing better - or more substantive - to do with your time. And besides - if there were no "shallow" or" dumb" people in the world, then you'd actually have to spend your time thinking about the person you actually hate, wouldn't you?


* Gwen? You were so much cooler when you were with No Doubt, say, around 1996.
**And before you get all offended on me, that's a reference to a line in Bridget Jones's Diary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home